Friday, November 14, 2008

"The Bible says..."

Have you ever heard someone say things like: "The Bible says...'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'", or "The Bible says...'God helps those who help them self"', or "The Bible says...'every dog has it's day'"? Well, the Bible doesn't say those things! In fact the Bible doesn't say a lot of things that people claim it says. And conversely, the Bible says a lot of things that people never claim it says. So how can we know what the Bible really says? We can listen to hear-sayer's, or we can read it for ourselves. An estimate 90% of Christians have not read the Bible all the way through. I am part of that majority. I have read large portions of the Bible, and all the New Testament many times, but even after seven + years into Christianity I'm still sometimes surprised when I hear about "new" Old testament books of the Bible. Books like "Nahum" or "Obadiah". Where did those books come from?

So to combat this problem of people (myself included) not having a very strong grasp, or even a light grasp, of what the Bible is really teaching us, I plan to start a regular Bible study and post what God is revealing to me on this Blog. Hopefully others will follow along and learn and share with me, but more importantly, I hope this format brings me a little accountability so I stay consistent in my studies. Consistent Bible study is what I believe is the key to a successful life. Way more crucial than a collage education, but you wouldn't know that based off our society's influence on our kids. So stay tuned and hopefully I'll live up to my expectations of a regular, beneficial, God honoring Bible study that ultimately helps me to know what "The Bible says..."!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this!!!!

Anonymous said...

I HAVE MY BIBLE OPEN AND MY PENCIL AND PAPER READY!!! LET'S GO!

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".