Monday, November 30, 2009

We live, we learn.


As we stood outside our daughter's hospital room I said to Angela, "We have had only a handful of bad days together, and this is definitely one of them." I said this as Carley's anesthesiologist was inside her room loading her I.V. with a sedative. We watched from outside as Carley counted backwards and slipped into a comatose state, then the doctors closed the door to keep us out in the hallway while they reset her broken arm.

I spent the last half of Friday Nov. 27 second guessing every decision that lead up to the events that brought us to the hospital that night. If we would have let Carley stay at her Papa's a little longer...If Carley would have gone with her aunt and Gagi to Georgia...If I would have decided against taking a bike ride...If we would have turned left out of the driveway instead of right...If I would have rode beside her with more concern for her safety...then maybe everything would have been okay. But everything was not okay on this Friday evening.

Earlier that day as we sped down the hill on our bikes, I was leading the way ahead of Jacob, Carley, and Taylor. As I completed the decent and began to climb the hill at the end of our road I heard Jacob calling to me. I turned to see no bikes riding toward me and quickly realized something had happened. Then I heard Carley crying out and running in my direction. I got off my bike and ran to her knowing this would not be the typical "you'll be okay" speech I give after a fall. I saw the fear, the pain, and the disfigure arm as she ran pleading for my help. A hug was all I could give.

Jacob headed back home to get help and Taylor pushed two bikes back up the hill as I carried Carley back home. Angela met us half way in the car and we headed to the doctor. Because of our flawed health care system, Carley spent about 7 hours with an untreated broken arm and was only given the equivalent of one Tylenol pill for the pain. That's 7 hours with a completely dislocated fracture of both bones in the left forearm, and virtual no pain medicine at all. She never really cried out in pain but patiently, with tears in her eyes, waited for the relief she trusted her Mom and Dad to bring her way. She's always been tough, but this day she was the toughest!

Relief eventually did come her way. A good staff at Greenville Memorial eventually got the job done and she's now on the road to recovery. She is also looking forward to getting her cast put on this week (they only splinted her arm and wrapped it allowing the swelling to go down before putting the official cast on). Carley is now debating which color to choose for her new cast. We joked "Clemson orange", but she's leaning towards "baby blue".

It was one of the worst days of my life. I think I will always remember her running toward me for help and it will forever break my heart to have her feel any real pain and real fear. But Angela and I both used the experience as a teaching opportunity that benefited both her and us. An event like this is a good indicator of just how grounded you are in your Faith. And I'm glad to say that it is our Faith in God through His son Jesus Christ that made this event not only tolerable, but in many ways, beautiful.

We are working on getting Carley's x-rays, but in the mean time, the above picture is an x-ray from the Internet that is comparable to her break. Doesn't that make you cringe?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carley, you were so very brave!We know the events of that fateful day brought pain and scary times! But, you did great!
Your Dad and Mom and Jacob love you so much! It was so hard for them to see you hurting and not able to help!
We love you so very much, too! And we are so glad you are doing well and soon to get that new cast! Blue??!
Faith in Jesus Christ is the answer to all life situations and problems. He truly gives strength and comfort in those times of crisis and in everyday life, as well. Our love, Grampa and Gramma

david l said...

Carley, what a freakin' warrior-chick! Remember, scars are like tattoos, just with better stories.



By the way...blue would be my pic. It's the color of Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Greg, we all have those moments when we look back and say, "What If"!!! Remember the car accident -I said the same thing but we really can't do that because this is all part of our life journey !!!! The good memories as well as the bad.

I'm just thankful that you, Jacob and Taylor were all out there with her. I'm sure she felt your love and that was a big comfort to her.

Now, the fun part is that she can let all of her family and friends sign her cast which will help take away some of the discomfort over the next few weeks.
Carley is a strong young lady and now all of you will be telling this story for years to come. Hang in there Carley, this will all be over before you know it and you will be back with your gymnastics and horseback riding. Love you much, Gagee!

david l said...

So, will we see this story on an upcoming episode of "Scarred"?

david l said...

Hey! You ever gonna update this thing? Post somethin' already!

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".