Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mid-life "crisis"?



Crisis is an interesting word. I just looked up the definition and it simply means "a turning point". Although it is often associated with danger or trauma, a crisis, by definition, is not necessarily a bad thing. So why does the term "mid-life crisis" conjure up so many negative implications? Well, when I hear "mid-life crisis" I tend to think of a 40 year-old balding guy riding around in his convertible Mustang trying to pick up college girls. Or I think of a 40 year old wife and mother getting wrapped up in an affair with her kids' pediatrician. And I guess both scenarios will create the "turning point" in their lives. But while I believe a mid-life crisis is inevitable, I also believe this crisis can be a positive one. One where no one gets hurt and there are no regrets. For example, here's mine:

-

Last summer I felt restless. I knew I wanted something but I didn't know what I wanted. But I was pretty sure it was a motorcycle. So as I began looking at Harley's I was getting more and more convinced that the lack of a motorcycle was indeed the void in my life. I had cool images of me riding country roads as the sun was setting. Images with my wife either riding along and holding on tight or waiting at home for me with her newly fueled infatuation and respect for her biker husband....yeah, that was the shape of the hole in my heart...the shape of a motorcycle.

-





But Angela didn't agree. So I secretly waited and watched and ever so gingerly slipped the motorcycle dream into conversations to numb her defenses. And I finally got to where I felt I might could get a motorcycle and not a divorce as a result. Victory! But the guilt of Angela's lack of enthusiasm coupled with the guilt of me wasting family money on my toy, lead me to reconsider.




So one day as I was in Wal-mart near the end of this same summer, I was walking down the bike aisle I noticed a road bike. It had thin wheels and rounded handlebars like my old 10spd back in the day. $140.00 later and it was all mine. My visions of riding the country roads in the sunset were about to become reality!

Flash forward 8 months and I'm on my 4th road bike and have logged over 2000 miles. I entered my first Time Trial race a couple weeks ago and finished a strong 81st out of 89 riders. And I'm set to ride my first metric century (68 miles) next Monday. But perhaps the most impressive thing about my new cycling hobby is that I have no desire for a motorcycle. I no longer have that two wheeled shape hole in my heart. I guess a bike fit that hole just fine.

I believe it was God who put that hole in my heart. But it was a hole of a bicycle and not a motorcycle all along. It was in my materialistic, self-centered glasses I wear that caused me not to see a bike. I saw a Harley. Because a Harley would make me look scary and cool. But God didn't want me to be scary and cool. God wanted me to wear tight cloths, sweat, come in 81st place, and get healthy. It might not be my script but, looking back, I couldn't have written it any better.

And as a bonus gift for this "crisis" God sent my way, He reveals Himself sometimes as I'm out riding. The above pictures are a couple of examples from my cell phone.


-

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. (Psalms 19:1)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW, THAT WAS JUST BEAUTIFUL!! GOD HAD A WONDERFUL PLAN FOR YOU! SPENDING TIME WITH HIM, IN THE HIS AWESOME CREATION!
GETTING HEALTHY IS A GREAT ADDED BENEFIT.
SHARING THE BEAUTY OF HIS CREATION WITH US, THROUGH PICTURES! AWESOME!
GLAD YOU FOUND SUCH A SATISFYING WAY TO ENJOY THE BACK COUNTRY OF SOUTH CAROLINA.
KEEP SHARING THOSE BEAUTIFUL PICTURES.

david l said...

good stuff mi amigo

Jonathan Pait said...

Greg, are you still on the bike?

Greg said...

Jonathan,
I'm on my bike nearly every day. I logged 415 miles last month and I'm on pace to have over 4000 miles this calendar year(God willing).
I still haven't entered any races yet, except for the monthly Donaldson TT's. I think I'll need to wait until next year to take this next step. I realized I wasn't ready when I joined the "B" group on a Tuesday night last month and I got dropped on the third lap (22 mph average). How you guys in the "A" group maintain 25+ MPH is beyond me, but it's that goal that keeps me moving forward. But thanks for checking in and thanks for your interest.

And for anyone else reading along, Jonathan could easily be considered a local celebrity in the Greenville cycling community. I've been following his blog for almost a year now and have been encouraged by his daily writings about his time on his bike. Someday I hope to be passing him in a race or a climb up Altamont, but that might take awhile!

Bobby said...

Are you trying to be Brett Favre?

Just on a bike instead of a football field?

:>)

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".