Tuesday, March 11, 2008

3/16 = 3:16

Weird title I know (3/16 = 3:16). This is my first entry in what I hope turns into a regular weekly post. I'm trying to see if the internet can be used as a useful Bible study tool. I'm encouraging the Sunday school class I'm attending to join me in a sneak peek at our weekly lessons. Sunday school always seems to me to be lacking just a little. What I mean by that is Sunday mornings always seem so hectic that by the time people actually get settled in the class room environment they are not quite ready to "open up" the way a good study of God's word requires. Usually mid-way through the class people get relaxed enough to join in conversation and share their thoughts. And unfortunately by the time the class is over, we've just got to the part where we are really getting to the "good stuff." This attempt of an internet (or e-mail) connection to the class during the week is hopefully going to be able to close the gap between the hectic Sunday morning and the "good stuff."
This is by no means an attempt to steal the lessons from our teacher. Mark (our leader and teacher) has the unique ability to make a Sunday school classroom relaxed and comfortable. That's something I tried to do when I taught, but my nervousness and lack of confidence created a much more uncomforatable environment (especially for me). Mark's love for Jesus and his meek and kind nature are key ingredients in leading a group of believers. So hopefully Mark will continue his lessons as usual, but I hope we as students and as believers can be so wrapped up in God's word by Sunday morning that we will be eagerly waiting to jump right into the "good stuff."
Now about my title (3/16 = 3:16). Am I just some super code-cracker or did anyone else notice that the date of the lesson is 3/16 and the Bible verses are John 3:16 and 1 John 3:16?...weird huh? The verses deal a lot about love...the quote in the front cover of out lesson guide by Mother Teresa says "There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread." I'd say she put action to her words...how do most believers in Christ's church today compare to Mother Teresa?..are we missing something?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." (1 John 3:16)NIV.

There are two things that stand out to me in this verse: The reason we "know" love, and the phrase "lay down our lives." First, is John stating that without Jesus dying on the cross we would not even know love? Maybe John is using the word "love" to mean "God" as he did in 1 John 4:16 "..God is love." If so, could John have also said here "this is how we know God..because Jesus laid down his life for us."?
Second thought about this verse is our calling to "lay down our lives." I don't think John is telling believers to find a purpose where we are puting ourself into a place of physical danger. But rather, I think we are being called to put our selfish desires aside for the benifit of others. I would guess this is John's request here. A good way to verify a new testiment commandment is to find it elsewhere in scripture, especially if Jesus said it Himself.."If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me". (Matt 16:24 words in red). Self denial appears to be our command both from Jesus and from His disciple John.
Learning what scripture is telling us is one thing, applying it to our lives is another! Let me know if anyone has any tricks to help me with self denial.

Greg

Anonymous said...

My current favorite song is Casting Crowns' "Does Anybody Hear Her." To me the most powerful line in the song is "Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me.."

Tucked away?...ouch!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm talking to myself...like a cyber space Schizophrenic. But anyway..

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?" (1 John 3:17)NIV.

John, in this whole book, seems to be addressing believers and followers of Jesus. He keeps refering to "my dear children", and "brothers." Not necessarially believers, but probably so. So if he is writting to people of the faith then he is also refering to people of the faith when he says "brother in need." We are called to serve the needy and the poor, but are we more obligated to the needy and poor believers of Christ? Tough question.
Believers have a special bond. A bond that breaks through (when it's real) barriers of race, age, nationality, and anything else that might separate people. The love of and for Christ is powerful. The early church growth, reported in Acts, shows the believers selling all their possessions for the good of the community of believers (The Church). There appears to be an early push for no rich and/or poor in the body of Christ, at least from what I read in Acts. This might be what John is refering to. Should the true church of Jesus have social classes based off of financial status? My gut feeling is no, I think we should be more like a family. Not like the whole family that gathers at a reunion, but the family that is living under one roof. For example: I have money, my wife has money, and my kids have no money. But you wouldn't know it by what we have and what they lack...because they don't lack! It's easy to see what love looks like in the family that lives under one roof, maybe it should be easier to see what love looks like under the roof of a church.

Anonymous said...

OK, I don't want Greg to think he is talking to himself or a cyber space Schizophrenic, so I will add one QUICK thought (because it is late).

In referring to the call to lay down our lives, I agree that we aren't called to search out physical danger. The best reference I know is that God has said we are to be "living sacrifices" (Romans 12:1). We are to see ourselves as God's instruments in reaching others for Heaven's sake. Most of our difficulties in life are the result of selfishness. When we offer our lives to God, we tell Him we are willing to endure whatever He calls us to for His sake. We are placing God's eternal plan and purpose above our own temporary wants. So, what choice will we make?

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".