Thursday, March 6, 2008

No one likes a quitter....Favre!

In September 1992 I began my new life as a married man. In September 1992 Brett Favre began his new life as the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. This has turned out to be a pretty good turning point in my history. I hope Favre's career hasn't been the glue that's been holding my marriage together, but we'll get to put that to the test next season. In the past 15 years my wife has not know a football Sunday without her husband's great concern for Favre's on field performance. In that time she has also grown into quite the Packer fan (or maybe just a Favre fan). And speaking of Packer fans, I don't want to portray my Mom as one of those "paint your face green and yellow" Packer fanatics, but I'm pretty sure she was on the phone with Brett's Mom or possibly Deanna when Brett made his anouncement of retirement. She text messaged me the news before the internet got a hold of the story. She loves "her Brett"! Now she'll have to love "her Aaron Rogers" too!
Those die hard Packer fans will remember the post Favre seasons when an 8-8 record was a successful year. Since Farve, anything short of 10-6 was considered pitiful (and time to get a new head coach). Only time will tell if Sept. 1992 was the day God lifted His 24 year curse off of the Green Bay Packers, or if that was just the day Brett Favre got his chance to play quarterback!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He needed to retire before he tarnished his legacy! Go Cowboys!

Anonymous said...

Second only to Minnesota is the Cowboys on my "least favorite teams" list. I have a brother-in-law thats a big Dallas fan too. I don't understand pulling for a team that has so many built in advantages. For example, I think ALL their games are home games. I think they have their own referees on staff. And I think they don't have to work under the league's sallary cap. Kinda like the Yankees. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. But I am a fan of Jessica Simpson and her relationship with Tony Romo. I think the Giant fans are too.

Unknown said...

I would not say that that the Packer's are my least favorite team. I do cheer them on when they are not playing my beloved Cowboy's or a team that can have an impact on the Cowboy's standings. The only built in advantage I see the Cowboy's having is that they are America's team. So if America is God's Country, then that must make the Dallas Cowboy's God's team. Divine intervention is a tough obstacle for any opponent. From a true Cowboy's fan's point of view. Brett hung up his shoe's when he saw he had the Cowboy's coming to his turf this year and couldn't face the reality of a home town whooping with all the world to see. I do expect some reaction from all your Packer's fans out there. In closing I want to give you one thing to remember. The Greenbay Packer's have been to the superbowl 4 times with 3 wins and 1 loss. The Cowboy's have lost the superbowl the same amount of times the Packer's have won, and we have won the superbowl one more time then the Packer's have been. Alright Greg it's your turn.

Anonymous said...

It's hard produce a rebuttal for such a well thought-out comment, especially when you practically put God as their franchise player. So I'll "lay my fiddle down" so to speak. But the one problem I do have is that you are using my sister's user name to post a comment. I know it's not her commenting because although she might carry your last name, her loyalty remains with the Packers. And I pretty sure Josh and eventually Jordan will be Cheese Heads as well! Come on over to the "light" Jim!

Unknown said...

You are right Greg!!! My loyalty is with the Packers! And the boys are wearing their packer shirts all the time...not cowboys!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim!

Sorry Jim!

Unknown said...

Kim is correct in saying that the boys are wearing there packers shirts and not the cowboys. It's allowing them the opportunity to get it out of there system so as they grow they can learn to appreciate God's team.

Jim

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".