Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Me and Oprah like "The Shack"

One of my favorite books, as I point out in my “profile” to the left of this Blog, is the book called “The Shack.” It was recommended to me by a friend of mine that has given me a number of books that have helped me to draw closer to Christ. “The Shack” was no exception. The one thing not lacking today is the amount of people writing, talking, and debating about this book. The latest stir is that Oprah is lumping it together with her endorsement of the book “A Course in Miracles”, which is apparently New Age. I have not found a lot of information to support this claim, but proof is not needed to express the point I want to try and make. I’m going to try and write this post without pushing the book on people or pushing the book away from people. I’m just going to try to share my frustration with the fact that fear has (and continues) to inhibit the Christian walk with God.
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..” (Proverbs 9:10). Fear is good. It draws the unbeliever closer to the Creator. On the other hand, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4: 18). So the unbeliever’s “fear of God” should change to a “love for God” after a saving faith in Christ has been accepted (and/or administered). I say all this to point out my opinion of how the church has pushed a fear-based agenda so much that it has become a deterrent to both the believers and non-believers in this world.
The church has pushed sin and punishment on non-believers pretty hard. Scripture makes it clear the cost of not accepting Jesus, and we’ve done our job in making that clear as well. But scripture also makes it clear that Christ came to give a life more abundant through God’s free gift of salvation. When I was a non-believer (not too long ago) I remember thinking that if God was sending me to hell, I was at least going to go there my way. I had God pegged as someone who wanted me unhappy for His sake. I was misled! Fear eventually did draw me to Jesus, but I wonder if love could have drawn me there earlier. Alcohol, drugs, and sex are quick and temporary fixes for people’s insecurities. To me that’s why kids turn to these vices, to be set free from their prison of insecurity. Guilt, shame, and self-obsession will lead people to some form of escape. I think “The Shack” can help people see God as more than an old bearded white man in a robe, sitting on the big judge’s seat in the sky. But instead, see God as the original author who whispered to John the verse we’ve numbered 3:16, which is the ultimate escape route from our insecurities.
The preaching of sin and punishment has also affected the believers in the church. The difference is our sin might not be so much about the sins that make the headlines, but more about our lack of discipline and desire to please God. Many are convinced that we “need” to read the Bible, go to church, witness, love others, and pray. And without these actions, punishment from God will soon come our way. This mentality is fear based. Love for Jesus will lead a person to these “Spiritual disciplines” not just to please God, but to learn to love God more, to acquire more of what feels good (similar to feeding a negative addiction). When we feel we’ll be punished, we will tend to think the inevitable tragic events in our lives are punishment from God. And who wants to worship a God that does not protect the life of a six-year-old girl abducted by a serial killer? Especially when the family is God-fearing Christians who attended church regularly (this is a reference to ”The Shack”). If there are Christians out there who can answer this question with a peace that surpasses all understanding, then they don’t need to read “The Shack”. But I’m sure there are Christians who don’t truly know what Paul was implying when he wrote “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Roman 8:28) For those people, I would recommend searching for answers both in Scripture and in “The Shack”, because this understanding of God and His nature is essential in the Christian walk.
So if Oprah is endorsing “The Shack”, then I say that’s a good thing. If Oprah is not a Christian and she is promoting Christ on her show then I’ll echo the words of Paul again “But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.” (Phil 1: 18). I could try and address more specific accusations of this book, but I’ve found much smarter people than me have already done that. I’ll use the comment section of this post to link anyone who’s interested to the reviews that try to expose this book as heresy and the ones that defend this book as a blessing from God.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick recap, this book to me opens up the two verses I referenced in the post: John 3:16 and Romans 8:28. It should help the reader to understand these two verses better, but 250 pages in a fiction novel are not going to reveal the whole mystery of the Holy Trinity. And I can't help but to think how Satan did his work in the garden...he planted the seed of doubt in Eve's mind to distance her from God. If this book can draw people closer to God, then what better way to negate it then by planting the seed of doubt into potential readers.

negative review: http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/the-shack-by-william-p-young.php

Positive review:
http://lifestream.org/blog/?p=530

and comment #59 (by Allen) in the negative review is the best positive review I found.

Anonymous said...

After writing such a wonderful blog and after having such strong feelings on "The Shack" I'm a little afraid to disagree so let me just comment on what I do agree on. You're right about the fact that going to church, reading the Bible and praying without the love of Jesus living within you can become legalistic. Having the Holy Spirit and love of Jesus living in us is what gives us the desire to fellowship with Him and please Him.
With great caution, I will say that I enjoyed reading "The Shack" very much but I'm not sure I could look to this book for answers in my life. Let me add that it did portray a side of God's love in a different form than what most of us are familiar with and maybe that is where the controversy begins. As individuals, if we do not have the assurance of God's protection and love, perhaps the book will give us a comfort in knowing that he is with us when tragedy hits. Oh, even though you scare me a little I was brave in my comments (don't you think).

Anonymous said...

As I read back over what I wrote in this post, it's hard for me to keep up with my own ramblings. So I'm pretty sure I didn't express myself as good as I hoped to. My frustration on this issue is mainly the perception people are getting about this book before they get a chance to read it. You are right in saying this is a different portrayal of God from the norm. God is not scary in this book. God is scary in the Bible in many places, but He is also "a place of rest" in other places. I think this book wants to show God as a place of rest and also to try and shake His scary persona. Does it portray God correctly? I believe it does. Does it portray God fully? No way it could (that's the Bible's job). There are not many hymns that refer to a scary God either, but to discount them as misleading would not benifit the Church. And to think I'm incapable of being deceived is to be nieve', but as a student of God's word with an living and active faith in Jesus Christ, I have not found the book to be in error. It does make the reader think "outside the box", but the point being to help us realize God can't be put into our "boxes."

And please don't be scared to post a comment. If I'm going to wear my "Christian badge" on my shoulder, then I better be prepared to lovingly accept criticism. And if I don't come across humbly, then I need to be reminded that I'm not honoring God...I believe that "iron sharpens iron."

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to sit back and enjoy what others have to say and how you respond. By the way,

"Anonymous" thinks you're sharp as a tack and I'm very proud of you. Keep going......

Anonymous said...

I was raised "in the church" - daughter of an evangelical pastor/teacher where there was a huge emphasis on the holiness and judgment of God ... very little on His UNCONDITIONAL Love, Grace, Mercy and Kindness. I've spent much of my adult life learning to let myself be loved by God - to trust Him fully ... and it's been a long journey. Recently I poured out my heart to Him - telling Him I know full well that He was a Just and Holy God, but I needed to understand more about TRUST and the truth of His LOVE ... I needed to "get it" ... and then someone recommended this book.

I just finished reading "The Shack" and I can't even think what words could describe how I'm feeling ... I guess I just want my new - renewed - understanding of LOVE to reflect who I am and how I live ... it's all and only about relationship ... I love that I read this book just before Easter! I love KNOWING I'm loved so much that Jesus died for me - even if I was the only one.
.... and, YES, my real name is Faith ... I'm growing into it!

ps: I once heard someone say, "the one thing no-one will hear in heaven is `your theology was perfect'!"

THIS IS THE LASTEST REVIEW ON AMAZON ABOUT "The Shack". This was the point I was trying to make in my post. I think she did a much better job than I did!

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".