Monday, March 17, 2008

Run Dave...Run

Who isn't captured by a Cinderella story? Rocky, The Karate Kid, Rudy, Buster Douglas, the 1980 US. hockey team, and this year's New York Giants. Everyone roots for the underdog. So let me set the stage for the latest individual to "dream the impossible dream." Dave, my brother-in-law, is in training for the April 10K Cooper River Bridge Run. His training regime has been intense to say the least, with the treadmill's incline set to it's maximum! He's still yet to hit the one mile mark, but he feels confident that mile stone will be surpassed soon. And as any runner knows, there is an exponential growth in endurance after the one mile plato is reached. So two weeks is more than enough time for Dave to train his heart and lungs to keep his leg muscles adequately supplied with the required blood and oxygen (for 6.2 miles). So why, you may ask, is this a Cinderella story? Well to the people who know Dave, it's not. We've seen the effects of his training (we'd be blind not to). We know his desire and passion for intense exercise and heated competition. But the city of Charleston does not know Dave the way we do! So I'm sure he will not be the odds-on-favorite to the so called "experts." So the potential Cinderella story is in place. A famous quote from the classic movie "Chariots of Fire" reminds me so much of Dave and his need to run. When asked "why run?", the main character Eric Liddel said.. "God made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure." .. Well God made you fast too Dave! .....So run Dave!...Run!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave, you know your mother-in-law has run that race and I have to say, I will be cheering you on all the way. I have to ask though, how long did Greg say you been training? We know you can do it and there is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you finally reach the Finish Line. Go Dave!

About Me

My photo
I'm working on making my life not "about me".